Gus Honeybun was a very popular bunny who used to read out children's birthdays on TV and was a celebrity in his own right popular with children and adults.
Where and how is it used?
This Gus Honeybun belonged to my children. He's over 30 years old.
What did you or someone else pay for it?
I can't remember.
Why do you want to add it to the museum?
I would like to bring him back into the public eye and I would like people's suggestions to how I could do this.
How was it made?
Is made in a factory
Is produced by local cottage industry
Is made to particular specifications
Is craft / hand-made
Is a service
Materials & Making
Who made or produced your commodity?
The original was West Country TV and TSW took him over. I don't know where this Gus toy was produced.
Who was paid to make it?
I don't know.
What skills does it take to make it?
I always wondered how they made the original. You couldn't see the strings. He could stand on his head and all sorts. It was marvelous.
Where was it made?
South West England.
What does it cost to make it?
I don't know.
What is it made from?
1. Fur fabric:
Buying & Owning
Who decides how much it costs?
West Country TV and TSW
Who or what assesses its quality?
The TV company and the public.
Where is it sold?
On TV and fairs and fete openings.
Who or what sells it?
How did this thing arrive from where it was made to where you got it?
Where is it used?
On TV and the toy is used at home.
Where is it kept?
The toy is in my bedroom.
How and by whom is it cared for?
How long will it last?
For a long time if cared for.
Where will it go when it's finished with?
The toy hopefully will go to one of my children.
What is it worth?
The toy and the original are priceless to us.
How do you and others value this commodity?
See the values contributed by visitors and those of the donor. And add your own values to this commodity.
|Total times valued||3|
|Controversy||24.5 (0 = most controversial)|
What do these numbers mean?
This data that we have collected over time in our database means nothing without interpretation. A relational database, which we are using here, is technology that enables designers of websites and software to compare, contrast, interrogate and infer relations within data. The act of designing a database is not objective but driven by the agency of its creators and owners.
Within the MoCC Collection data is used to help think through the relations between values, commodities and data. Can we describe our values using sliders and numbers? How do we infer meaning such as controversy from data?
Below is a brief explanation of the some calculations and how these help make decisions about what is shown on the site.
(Total Positive Values) + (Total Negative Values)
The closer the value is to zero the more controversial it is in relation to other commodities. Used to infer that values associated with one commodity divide opinion more than another.
Average Value Score (used in the sliders):
(Total Positive for Value + Total Negative for Value) ÷ Total Times Valued
Used to infer a collective value associated with a commodity.
How do you value this commodity?To add your own values click VALUE THIS COMMODITY and move the sliders left and right to add your own values - then click SUBMIT
Questions and answers
Help to reveal unknown quantities, properties and uses of this commodity by answering this MoCC curator's questions.
Question: Could anybody help me put him back in the public eye? If so please can you contact me. email@example.com
Hello, we’re Gabrielle and Lizzie and we’re your commodity consultants for today.
What an exciting creature. We were very intrigued as to whether this was the real-life Gus?
We’ve been doing some research and some thinking we’ve come up with the following ideas to get this rabbit back into the headlights…
1.) Have a bunny re-vamp
- First thing’s first Gus- have a bit of a wash and have some more fluff injected to perk you up (see here for some top makeup tips- http://www.listotic.com/32-makeup-tips-that-nobody-told-you-about/). Morton (2015) looked at the disciplining of the ageing body and the use of cosmetic practices in the South West which may be of use to you (see here- http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/0966369X.2014.939151)
- Secondly, have you ever thought about a career in the bear factory style industry? Toothless from ‘How to Train your Dragon’ has been hugely popular at the Bear Factory (http://www.tomopop.com/how-to-train-your-dragon-s-toothless-has-landed-in-build-a-bear-34597.phtml). Gus could so easily do the same, especially because the market who are familiar with him are going to be in the parent demographics. They have the opportunity to re-live their childhood through purchasing and encouraging his consumption.
2.) Get some great PR work behind you
- We know how successful Gus was at the time, so we think he has great potential for a PR revamp. Butlins offers a “productive, safe and fun working environment”- as one former employee states; “When I started at Butlins, I couldn’t swim, whereas now I am a fully qualified lifeguard” (source: http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Butlins/reviews). As Morton (2015)’s paper points out in the above section, hydration and great water consumption does wanders for the ageing process.
- We also thought there was the huge potential to remarket the catchy Gus Honeybun song- how about re-making the video today? We are expecting a warmer than average summer according to the Express so what a perfect time for video filming!! (source: http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/672361/Hottest-summer-in-100-years-UK-weather-forecast-2016-heatwave)
- Gus and Sooty? We’ve been really impressed by his success and didn’t realise he was up there with sooty so perhaps he could co-produce a new number with our other favourite orange creature?
3.) Come up with a story- what about a Gertrude Honeybun?
- In 1992 Gus was reunited with his family. What about doing a 20 years on comeback? Potentially introducing a Gertrude Honeybun and family?? Maybe there was a bun in the oven?
We hop you enjoyed this answer as much as we enjoyed writing it! And we think Gus has great potential for a comeback- he won’t just be some bunny that you used to know!